Be it a condition of heart failure, breathlessness or some other serious health conditions, Massage is one of the techniques that has been used since ancient times for relieving pains, shaping the organs, regenerating tissues and correcting almost all internal malfunctions. Massage is manipulation of the soft tissues of the body. It is said in Charkas samhita that demons used to massage with oil to overcome ill effects of old age. Massaging towards the heart has a meditative quality and putting of oil in naval region is believed to channelize energy in whole of the body. It is a trend to massage newly born babies and children. Apart from physical benefits of massage a child feels comfortable with the magic touch of his mother’s hand. Massage is useful in curing diseases like insomnia, paralysis. Massage adds beauty to the skin. Proper massage on mouth maximizes youth and energy. In nature, even grass, trees or plants get massaged the wind blows through them.
Following are the benefits of massage
- Daily massage strengthens muscles and helps to gain strength and vitality.
- In Ayurveda massage has been said to jara har i.e. it over comes the ill effects of old age.
- Rubbing, patting and squeezing the muscles gently remove the fatigue.
- Massage helps to remove the problems caused by vata.
- Regular massage helps to enhance longevity.
- Massage helps to recover a person from injuries faster.
- Regular massage improves the color, complexion, texture and strength of the skin.
- Regular massage helps to keep eye sight improved and other disease away.
- Massage helps to induce sleep.
- Massage keeps all fluids, blood, flesh, tendons, bones, marrow semen in a balanced state.
- Massage soothes and enables the nerves and pulse to function properly.
- Massage facilitates the assimilation of nutrients in food.
- Massage reduces swelling and thickening of tissues.
- Massage regulates the digestive system.
- Ghee massage is useful in children. They should be massaged early morning with the ghee prepared from cow milk .
- Massage makes the skin smooth, shining and intact.
- According to Sushruta Samhita Anointing the feet with oil bestows sleep and comfort to the body, good for eyes, wards off fatigue and loss of sensation , softens the skin of the feet and is beneficial always .
- According to Charak Samhita use of oil massage makes the body firm, smooth skinned and free from disturbances of vata etc morbidities and tolerant of exertions and exercise.
- Massage keeps a body immune to accidental injuries or strenuous work .
- Using of massage daily keeps one endowed with pleasant touch trimmed body parts and becomes strong.
Therapeutic effect of massage has been recognized in the western countries too And it has become a practice too in their medical treatment.