Role of a mother has been held in high esteem in almost all religions and civilizations. But here is a plant called Haritaki or Harad whose worth has been eulogized more than that of a mother. Yes our sages said that there is a possibility of a mother for being annoyed at her children but it is the Haritaki or Harad from which no negative reaction is feasible. Haritaki or Harad known internationally as Terminalia chebula is an important ingredient of Chwayanprash and triphala.(http://healthyminute.in/2014/05/28/know-benefits-and-uses-of-triphala-harad-baheda-and-amla/) Of course many formulations described in ayurevdic texts are incomplete without use of Haritaki or Harad . Endowed with the gift of five tastes viz. – sweet, bitter, sour, pungent and astringent and sweet Haritaki/Harad fruits grows on a tree that can reach up to 30 meters in height.
Haritaki or Harad is useful in various diseases
Our ancient texts have recognized its usefulness in checking disease like skin disorders, enlarged spleen, anemia, heart diseases, irregular fever, diarrhea, anorexia, cough, abdominal diseases, jaundice, worm infestation, tuberculosis, asthma, feeling of nausea etc. When there is heaviness in chest region and deviation in memory, Haritaki or Harad gives good result. Owing to five rasa presnt in Haritaki/Harad it pacifies three doshas.
Use Haritaki/Harad differently in different seasons
Haritaki/Harad gives good results if used with different carriers according to different seasons. Use of Haritaki/Harad in summer with equal quantity of jaggery, in rainy season with rock salt, in autumn with amla (Emblica officinalis) in early winter season with shunthi and on late winter season with small pipali and in spring season with honey .
Benefits of Haritaki or Harad
Haritaki’s fruits are used after removing seeds from it. Its powder is used in various diseases. Is rational use gives a lot of benefits. Some of important uses are as:
- Haritaki or Harad removes all blockages in the channels of the body.
- Haritaki or Harad ‘s use enhances longevity.
- Use of Haritaki or Harad ‘s promotes Intellect becomes make sense organs more efficient.
- Haritaki or Harad taken after dipped in cow urine for a night gives remarkable results in anemia.
- Haritaki or Harad used with shunthi and cow urine gives appreciable result in oedema.
- Haritaki or Harad use dwith butter milk gives good result in piles.
- Use of haritaki /Harad for one year with honey enhances longevity.
- Gargling with decoction of Haritaki/Harad gives relief in mouth diseases.
Beware! Haritaki or Harad is contradicted also
Haritaki’s use is contradicted in pregnancy, person having indigestion. A person who eats rough diet or suffering from intake of poison, or has taken alcohol, should not take Haritaki or Harad . When there is hunger or thirst or the person is suffering from the impact of heat intake of Haritaki or Harad should be avoided.