Diabetes means sugar in the blood. Whenever we eat something, various digestive enzymes present in the body act on it and split the food into finer particles which ultimate become constituents of the body. However when something is wrong in the body these food substances fail to split and their presence in the body harms it. Carbohydrates – one of the major constituents of the food when not get digested due to improper functioning of insulin secreting glands pancreas they fail to become the constituents of the body. They remain in the blood and are excreted through the urine. The presence of sugar in the blood harms the body in various ways including the damage of eyes, kidneys and nerves.
Diabetes in context of Ayurveda
Diabetes finds its mention in the texts of Ayurveda by the name of madhumeha meaning sweet urine. Madhumeha is one of the twenty types of prameha ie. Urinary disorders. First description of madhumeha as an independent disease is available in Susuhruta Samhita . Other texts of Ayurveda too have described diabetes under the category of prameha.
How Diabetes Rises- Causes Of Diabetes
Diabetes disease finds itself comfortable and homely to develop in a human being who eats much and avoids to take a bath and a walk. In fact, persons leading a comfortable life and avoiding physical labour can easily become a victim of Diabetes. Excessive intake of heavy diet, sweet, salty & sour things, curd, milk, and avoiding physical exercise are some of the important causes of diabetes according to Ayurveda.
How to know that a person is suffering from Diabetes- Symptoms Of Diabetes
Diabetes was diagnosed in earlier times by the gathering of ants at the place where a diabetic person has expelled his urine, now the diagnose is confirmed by the laboratory investigation of urine and blood. Positive results in them not only signify the presence of the diabetes but also confirm its intensity. Excessive thirst, fatigue, delayed healing of an abscess, dryness in mouth, burning sensation in feet and hands, excessive urination are some of the features that mark the occurrence of diabetes in a person. Diabetes and Ayurvedic tips.
Diabetes Treatment- Ayurveda Treatment For Diabetes
Texts of Ayurveda have given some directions for patients suffering from diabetes, which if followed can help to control it.
- Persons suffering from diabetes, skin diseases and gout should take unction( treatment with oil or ghee )in moderate quantity .
- Food prepared with butter milk helps in dysentery, anemia and diabetes.
- Avoid fomentation in patients suffering from diabetes.
- Avoid excessive intake of liquid diet in diabetes.
- Avoid excessive sweet, sour and salty products in diabetes.
- Physical exercise should be done daily by a person suffering from diabetes.
- Take care that a person suffering from diabetes should not develop constipation.
- Excessive sleep is not good in diabetes.
- Use of Amla and Moong dal daily helps to check diabetes.
- Use of shilajit is useful in diabetes
- Turmeric (Haldi) has been described in Ayurveda as the best substance in diabetes.
- Any type of bleeding in patients with diabetes should be controlled immediately.
- Barley (yava) is the best food in diabetes.
- Less quantity of food should be taken in diabetes.
- Long walk is helpful in diabetes.
- Old shali and sathi rice are good in diabetes
- Fresh cereals should be avoided in diabetes.
- Bitter things like neem, karela are useful in diabetes.
- Regular use of triphala is good in diabetes.
- Drinking of water having Wood of vijaysaar dipped in it, is useful in diabetes.